[NCLUG] Cable Modem Refugees

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Wed Dec 5 12:04:30 MST 2001

> > Personally, I'm more annoyed with the complete loss of static IPs.  Its
> > gonna be hellish to track down my MP3s^H^H^H^H important business
> > documents from work, now!  On the other hand, one of my recent projects
> > at work was a little tool to enable one to find a machine out in the
> > dynamic world... Hmmmm.
> >

> FWIW, I've heard talk of www.tzo.com and www.dns2go.com.  They both offer
> Linux clients, but I have not used them.  I was also looking for a link to
> the "new" AUP for aatbi that prohibited the use of these dynamic DNS agents,
> but can't locate it.  Apparently the lease on our IP's will be much shorter
> now.  I had the same IP ever since I'd been hooked up on @home, but from
> people's attbi reports, that's going to change.

http://help.broadband.att.com/faq.jsp?content_id=973&category_id=34&lobid=1

The paragraph in question reads:
(f.) IP Addresses. AT&T Broadband will provide Customer with dynamic IP
connection(s) as a component of the Service. Customer will not alter,
modify, or tamper with such dynamic IP connection(s) or those of any
other customer. Customer agrees not to use a dynamic DNS to associate a
host name with such dynamic IP connection(s) for any commercial purpose.
Customer also agrees not to use any software on or in conjunction with
any computer(s) or network device connected to the Service that provides
for static IP connections. If applicable, AT&T Broadband will take back
the dynamic IP connection(s) upon disconnection, discontinuance, or
termination of the Service or this Agreement.

I sent a carefully worded note to customer service telling them how this
destroyed the functionality of their service to me.  I sincerely doubt
it will change anything, but it couldn't hurt, right?  And now I can't
get to the customer service contact pages at Qwest... Sheesh.  And the
SprintPCS tower by my office is off the air...  and my dog just died,
and my truck has a flat tire, and, and, and...

(Just kidding about the dog and the truck...)