[NCLUG] FYI: Cable modems back in Fort Collins!

mike cullerton michaelc at cullerton.com
Fri Dec 7 12:17:10 MST 2001

on 12/7/01 11:23 AM, shaggydan at dmiles at holly.ColoState.EDU wrote:

> Ok, some aditional convincing:

since i have dsl, i've stayed out of this discussion, but...

> Lets say you have a really good invention, I'm not going to postulate on
> what that coudl be but imagine for my argument that you have a really good
> invention, we'll call it Bob.
>
> Now Bob is something that everybody could use in their homes, that would
> make life easier for all people. So how are you going to get Bob out?
> You're going to approach somebody with money to put up the initial fund
> for Bob's production.

not necessarily. there are atleast as many ways of bringing product to
market as there are new ideas for product.

> However, if you've alienated all the people with money, Bob never gets
> made in larger numbers than ones or twos in your basement and the society
> does not benifit from Bob nor do you make any money from it's invention.

what is this fixation with people who have money? if you have a good enough
idea, people will loan you money. assuming that is how you choose to bring
your idea to market. plenty of businesses have made it without the need to
borrow capital.

> This is why, right now, if somebody has money you should probably be nice
> to them, you never know when the next Bob is going to come around and or
> if it's going to be you who makes it.

first of all, you should be nice to people all the time.

but to continue with the discussion, what's to say some guy flipping burgers
today isn't gonna have extra cash the next time you need it.  likewise, not
everyone with money today is gonna have it when you want to borrow it.

and more to the point, irregardless of how nice you are to them, when you
are looking for money to borrow, people with money will loan it to you if
they can make money off the transaction. it's naive to think that being nice
to people with money will somehow make it easier to bring product to market
in the future.

in my opinion, of course :)
mike

 -- mike cullerton   michaelc at cullerton dot com