[NCLUG] FYI: Cable modems back in Fort Collins!

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Sat Dec 8 18:39:03 MST 2001

	Yeah, but I figured if everyone else could whine a little, then so could I :-)
	And yeah, John, I did find some LCM352 100mw Cisco gear for a great price
	($155) and an Avaya 24 dbi antenna for $136, but work has gone a sour
	recently, and hoarding cash reserves is the rule for the near term future,
	so I guess I live with POTS, and pretty poor POTS at that!

	kirk

Ok, understand that.

We discovered the LCM352's do "work" as 802.11 devices, but do not support the extended
diagnostics of the Aironet cards & access point, so it's not a favored solution. Also the
pcmcia stuff is much more of a pain to deal with, so the PCI cards are by far easier to
config and manage, since they end up looking just like ethernic's. So I've been snagging
them off ebay when they pop up for new members since they are relatively scarce.

We also now have a stocking wholesale distributor in Denver that stocks the Conifer antennas
(about $112 shipped ups up here) which we prefer, along with bulk cable and connectors.

John