[NCLUG] AT&T: 12.244.71 subnet causing lag

Corey Keasling wcoreyk at ftc.agilent.com
Mon Dec 10 12:47:42 MST 2001

Hello,

I got my connection back Saturday evening and everything seemed just as
brisk as always.  However, last night I started noticing that routers/switches
on the 12.244.71/24 (?) subnet were slowing things down (most of my packets
pass through these on the third hop).  In particular,
traceroute told me that the system 12.244.71.141 was adding an average of
950ms to every packet that passed through it!  Other system on 12.244.71.*
were adding a minimum of 200ms, depending on which one my packets passed
through on their way out of ip.att.net.  I miss 50ms ping times.  I can't use
a remote shell if it takes 1 second to make the round trip.  My traceroute
logs are at home, so I could be wrong on the IP addressed.  Is anyone else
seeing this behavior?

I emailed AT&T customer abuse, but (surprise, surprise), I haven't heard
anything from them yet.  Of course, I mentioned ssh in the letter so I doubt
I'll get anything back besides "we don't support ssh".

Corey
No, I will not fix your computer.