[NCLUG] IP Masqing on the New and Improved AT&T

Neil Doane caine at vasoftware.com
Tue Dec 11 09:29:30 MST 2001

Has anyone else noticed strange things afoot when trying to do IP Masqing
through AT&T's new setup?   It seemed that no matter what I did, I couldn't
get out from my Masqed boxes (the ones behind my firewall).  My Masqing box,
on the outside, could see and do everything appropriately, but it seemed
that even ports were being blocked when I tried to connect out from the
backend boxes and http requests out just always returned the transition-aid
page (http://transition-aid.attbi.com/attbi_welcome_page.html).  Called tech
support who immediately sent me to a higher-level tech who informed me that
AT&T isn't "supporting networks anymore" and that, because of their recent
infrastructure changes, they "havn't put in place the neccessary hardware
to support home networks."  Well, this sounded like bullshit, of course;
NAT is designed to be transparent...you don't need to _do_ anything to make
it work.  It seemed like they were up to something fishy.  A little more
digging and I started to realize that somehow, their DNS servers have been
set up to selectively return replys only to the primary host on the network,
if anything else asks for a resolution, even if the request datagrams are
source ip/port re-written to _appear_ to come from the primary dhcp host,
it gets denied an accurate answer and instead is given the IP for
transition-aid.attbi.com apparently.

I'm not really as intimate with DNS setup as I'd like, and I suspect that
their DNS may be using the source MAC addy to make the distinction, but I'd
love to hear ideas about how this is set up from someone with more specific
DNS knowledge.  It sounds to me like they went _out of their way_ to create
a setup that would not allow ip-forwarding home networks to function
properly, possibly to create a need for a their upcoming 'improved service
options'?   If so, that's some serious dicketry.

I managed to get around the whole mess by simply removing
all the AT&T nameservers from the resolv.confs of my backend workstations
and pointing them all to my internal nameserver, which runs on my IP
Masqing box and so can get valid replys from the AT&T DNS servers.

Neil

       . /._ o /
      /|//- / /                                           caine at vasoftware.com
     / ''- / /__                                        caine at antediluvian.org