[NCLUG] DSL Availability

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Tue Dec 11 17:22:37 MST 2001

>I can tell you that Qwest is a leader in a new technology, that expands

Hahaha!  I didn't realize they had such a sense of humor...

I was up in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan between February and March of 2000
(about a year and a half ago).  I got their ADSL setup installed while I
was there.  Saskatoon is a town roughly the same size as Fort Collins,
maybe a bit smaller.  It's *VERY* rural, even more so than Fort Collins (a
close runner up for the new slogan on their license plates was "Miles and
miles of miles and miles").

I was pretty well in town -- I have no idea where the telco COs were
though.  I asked the installer about how much of the city they had DSL
coverage in.  I was floored when he said it was around 95%.  They were
installing DSLAMs in the remote terminal boxes to get service to places
that were on fiber loops and stuff.

I've heard a rumor that Qwest was intentionally avoiding putting the DSLAMs
in these remote boxes because if they started doing it they then had to
allow the other CLECs to put equipment there as well, and they didn't want
to do that.

Sean

"And never again pay for a service that WOULD be dirt-cheap if it wasn't run
by a bunch of profiteering gluttons."  -- Razor and Blade
--
 Today's robots are very primitive, capable of understanding only a few simple
 instructions such as 'go left', 'go right', and 'build car'.  -- John Sladek