[NCLUG] sharing dialup

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Wed Dec 12 11:19:48 MST 2001

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Daniel Herrington wrote:

> Surely someone's done this before...
>
> How can I set up my LAN at home such that when my wife wants to check her
> email or browse the web on her Win98 computer, it automatically makes the
> modem on my linux box dial out and share the connection to FRII?

You're gonna need to set up IP Masquerading (Google is your friend, and with
the proliferation of broadband in the home, there are a TON of documents
and HOWTOs on the subject) and demand dialing (Google that one, too).

Neither was really hard as long as you read the docs carefully; the docs I
read even had debugging instructions that really helped. Demand dialing
used to be a real pain in the butt, but it's become markedly easier with
the newer versions of the PPP daemon.

There are probably other funky ways to proxy your wife's connection through
your Linux box (without having to setup IP masqing), but this is the
standard way to do that sort of thing.

Later,
Paul