[NCLUG] NCLUG Hacking Society, new location and report

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Thu Dec 13 15:49:45 MST 2001

Another change in venue...  Mike Cullerton has wimped out, but Michael at
exasource.com has offered the use of the conference room there.  So, we'll
try it out the next few meetings and see if it works for everyone involved.
Thanks to Michael for offering the space.

It is at 311 South College, on the west side of the street.  Basically,
across from the north Perkins, in the strip-mall that has Aggie Travel in
it.  It's at the very back of the parking lot, the building has "JYM
Information Systems" written on it.

You go into the main door, and the first door on the right is the
conference room.  Seating for 10, plus 802.11b wireless.  What more could
we ask for?  Well, apparently there's also a kitchen-like area with
microwave, fridge, etc...  Excellent.

So, we'll be holding the Tuesday December 18 meeting there, from 8pm to
11pm.

What happened at the last meeting?

   The HP guys finished up and released a new version of the HP-PA RISC
   Linux distribution.

   We talked some about the web-site.  Matt Taggart officially authorized
   the use of the name "NCLUG Hacking Society".

   We talked some about the web-site.  I think Evelyn actually worked some
   on getting some HTML for it.  If anyone wants to build a nice logo,
   that'd be cool.  We haven't actually got it up yet though.

   I thought it would be nice to have a kind of report of what people did
   every meeting, but so far nobody is submitting them.  Maybe a CGI on the
   web-site to deal with submissions before people leave?

   Matt Taggart promised that the next time he comes he'll hack on the
   NCLUG web-site.  The idea being to set it up in CVS and give some folks
   access to it.

   I hacked on some Python code for collecting and submitting open relays
   to orbz.org.  In the last 4 days I've received connections from nearly
   20k mail servers, over 2.5k of which had not been reported to ORBZ, and
   over 50 of which were open relays.

See you next week.

 On seeing a girl with a pierced tongue, he thought, "Just like
 Microsoft.  Can't do the job right, so throw hardware at it."