[NCLUG] Data Security Blanket

Kirk Rheinlander kirk at kpj2.com
Fri Dec 14 09:07:46 MST 2001

Is anyone aware of any LINUX software that will perform the following:

On my laptop Win2k partition, I run a background program called Second
Copy, that, at a specified period (in my case, every 10 minutes) and
reviews my data directories for changes, and then syncs the directories to
a second (in this case, a PCMCIA hard disk) drive. In this way, I have
real-time backup of all my data files, and when I go through airports, I
pull the PCMCIA card out, so that if the laptop is stolen, the really
valuable stuff - the data - is with me.

I have to selectively mirror the drives - just the data dir - my 32gb main
drive will not fit on a 1gb IBM microdrive. It even takes deleted files and
keeps one generation back on another HD dir.

This has always been my "security blanket" when on the road - I back up on
the weekends, but Second Copy protects my data from interim Windows
flakeyness. Maybe I don't need this in LINUX, but I'd feel better if I
could do this, at least to protect from potential theft.

When network connected, second copy runs to sync all data directories to a
server, where they can be backed up from a central point.

Thanks,
Kirk