[NCLUG] RFC: draft of press release -- comments from another side

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri Feb 9 16:37:12 MST 2001

On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 02:22:58PM -0700, John L. Bass wrote:
>Frankly, any negative reference to the BSA actions or it's member companies in
>this context sets a flawed moral basis that is difficult to defend.

While in theory I agree with this sentiment, in practice I think it may not
be as effective for the target audience.  It seems like the MS press-releases
along similar lines combatting Linux tend to be any less negative.  Since
these are certainly carefully crafted by a whole army of people hired to do
such things, I think we could use them as a metric of how natagive is TOO
negative...

I'd love to see the results of such a press release though -- you have a
patch?

Their whole blanket "You've been naughty, go out and buy some software and
show us the receipts and we'll leave you alone" approach is objectionable.
It's not even targeted as far as I can tell -- why send it to the President
of a *LINUX* company, I mean...

>and individuals (that don't need specific Win platform games or other software) can

"Isn't Word a Windows-platform software?  Oh, I don't qualify then..."

>MS camp claims against Linux. Maybe KRUD could be tweeked to have a non-admin varient,
>including star office - and use that release as the basis of the PR thrust.

KRUD does indeed include Star Office.  We'll be happy to lend KRUD to the
purpose...

 "Where are we going?"  "Planet Ten!"  "When?"  "Real soon!"
                 -- _Buckaroo_Banzai_