[NCLUG] grrrr....

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Tue Feb 13 12:35:00 MST 2001

Thus spake Sean Reifschneider:
> On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 09:04:41AM -0700, Mike Loseke wrote:
> > Great. google now owns deja.com and they've rolled the newsgroup stuff up
> >under their search engine. And it sucks compared to good ol' deja. Grr...
>
> I was just there last week and was wishing that their indexing were more like
> Google.  I was searching for something, and their search engine kept bringing
> up crap.

 Yeah, I guess it's what you're used to.

> > On a side note, anyone ever seen GNU ftp truncating passwords sent to
> >the server at eight characters? Is this behaviour modifiable? The specific
>
> As Luke points out, you have the source...  First I'd recommend you sniff
> the connection to make sure that the client isn't actually sending the
> full password and it getting truncated by the server for some reason
> (something weird like the Solaris FTP using an "XPASS" command or
> something).

 Using "jeffs at lsil.com" as the password (I'm replicating the error verbatim
for this user, please don't use his email - he's just a victim here.)

 GNU ftp:

        rose -> good         FTP C port=42313 USER anonymous\r\n
        good -> rose         FTP R port=42313
        good -> rose         FTP R port=42313 331 Guest login ok,
        rose -> good         FTP C port=42313
        rose -> good         FTP C port=42313 PASS jeffs at ls\r\n

 Solaris ftp:

        rose -> good         FTP C port=42314 USER anonymous\r\n
        good -> rose         FTP R port=42314
        good -> rose         FTP R port=42314 331 Guest login ok,
        rose -> good         FTP C port=42314
        rose -> good         FTP C port=42314 PASS jeffs at lsil.com\r

 Looks like I get to parse some c code...

--
   Mike Loseke    | If at first you don't succeed,
 mike at verinet.com | increase the amperage.