[NCLUG] Books?

Dave Steffen steffend at lamar.colostate.edu
Tue Feb 13 18:17:18 MST 2001

Luke Light writes:
 > Hey guys...
 >
 > I am interested in learning C++ and was wondering if anybody would
 > recommend any books?  I checked out GNU C++ For Linux, any opinions
 > on that book?

 Well, the _ONLY_ book to learn C++ from is the new "Accelerated C++"
 by Andrew Koenig & Barbara Moo. It's very recent, covers ANSI-C++,
 and takes what all the experts consider to be the "correct" approach
 to learning C++.

 The only problem with it is that GCC isn't quite standards compliant
 - the compiler itself is fine, but the library isn't up to snuff. GCC
 3.0 should be out soon, which will fix those problems. Until then,
 have some patience with header files not having quite the right name,
 namespaces not being enforced, and so forth.

Dave Steffen                      Wave after wave will flow with the tide
Dept. of Physics                    And bury the world as it does
Colorado State University         Tide after tide will flow and recede
steffend at lamar.colostate.edu        Leaving life to go on as it was...
							- Peart / RUSH
"The reason that our people suffer in this way....
is that our ancestors failed to rule wisely".   -General Choi, Hong Hi