[NCLUG] Recommended Firewall

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Mon Feb 19 10:22:34 MST 2001

> Hello, I'm trying to switch to the world of Linux and secure a schools
> network in the process.  Does anybody have any good firewall packages they
> would like to recommended?

Uhhh... You ask a very broad question without a good answer... Not
a short easy one, at least.
Linux itself is a pretty good firewall package.  The problem is that it
isn't
the most.... user friendly system out there.   There are packages that
help, by adding an interface to the scary commands.  Tummy.com's
own Isinglass is an example.  I think there's a good one called Mason,
as well.
I'm afraid I haven't used either, though, so I cannot help you choose
one.

My thoughts on firewall design could fill a book.  Fortunatly, someone
already filled a book.  Might I suggest Practical Unix and Internet
Security, from O'Reily?  There is a "Building Firewalls" book from
them, as well.  Either may help you.

> Also, could anyone recommend some good backup utils?

Amanda, LoneTar, Gnu-Tar, dump/restore...  Its all up to what you
want to pay, and what you want, really.