[NCLUG] PoPToP

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Mon Feb 19 15:12:10 MST 2001

> Anyone know how to get pptpd to use the /etc/passwd file for
authentication
> instead of the chap-secrets file.

I /think/ that it cannot be done.  I think unix passwords and CHAP secrets
are
fundamentally different in some way so that it can't be done. Something like
one-way hash vs challenge/response.

Mind you, I'm pulling this out of faulty memory, sooo...

> I also would like to know how to get data encryption working.

You have to download SSLeay (or maybe OpenSSL) and bundle that
in there along with a patch.  There is a faq about it somewhere:
http://jefe.org/Newschool/Projects/PPTP/newHOWTO-PoPToP.html

In my office, I just eventually gave up and used an NT box.  I'll probably
be excommunicated for saying that, but...  I was never able to get it really
working.