[NCLUG] Routing to different gateways depending on throughput

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Tue Feb 20 19:17:00 MST 2001

On 20 Feb 2001 at 19:05:12, Brian Stanback modified my mailspool to say:

> You can use BGP (Border Gateway Protocol)
>
> Not really sure how it works.. but I think it does what you want.

I don't think you want BGP... it's really more a protocol for selecting
particular routes to remote hosts (using more than just bandwidth as a
metric), it's a bitch to setup, and setup correctly, you need an autonomous
system number, and operating BGP routers on the remote end to talk to.

I did write a small perl hack that pings various external hosts and
switches the routes for me based upon those pings to my backup connection;
a friend who lives in the apartment a couple doors down from me has DSL and
I have a cable modem, so we connected our apartments together and agree to
carry each other's traffic when PacBell or Charter, respectively, sucks.

We call it HAPNet... High Availability Porn Network.

While it works beautifully, we don't really use the perl hack I wrote
because I never fully finished debugging it... but it more or less worked
with the testing we did do (which was very little :-)

If you want a copy, mail me off list and I'll dig one up for you.

Later,
Paul