[NCLUG] Why one group per user and NOT SGID home dirs

Matt Taggart matt at lackof.org
Wed Feb 21 10:22:54 MST 2001

Matt Taggart writes...

> Sean Reifschneider writes...
>
> > Why is having your home directory sgid better than having the /project
> > directory sgid?  It feels to me like it would be better to have the shared
> > location sgid than having everyone's home directories sgid...  At least
> > that's the way I do it.
>
> They both have to be setgid in order for a user to feel safe in opening up
> their umask. Did you read the explaination?

Wait a sec, I mispoke. Debian does not have setgid $HOMEs. The way Sean
mentioned is how it's done. Files created by a user will automatically be
owned by their group anyway(unless they've done a newgrp). So the Debian and
RedHat behavior is the same(and perhaps all distros that use adduser now).

/me hides in a corner.

--
Matt Taggart
matt at lackof.org