[NCLUG] Net Saint?

Applegate,Kris kapplegate at visgweb.com
Wed Feb 21 11:47:56 MST 2001

Does anyone use Net Saint Monitoring? I am having some trouble with the
notifications and could use some help.

I am having an email notification problem in 0.0.7b1. I know everything
is configured correctly regarding the monitoring and such. However when
I intentionally induce a server notification. NetSaint says that the
message has been sent and that everything is kosher. Then I check the
mailbox for NetSaint and it receives an undeliverable back from the
target domain:

The original message was received at Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:12:55 -0700
from netsaint at localhost

kapplegate at nunya.com
    (reason: 501 5.5.4 Invalid arguments)

... while talking to nunya.com.:
>>> MAIL From:<netsaint at linux.local> SIZE=257 AUTH=netsaint at linux.local
<<< 501 5.5.4 Invalid arguments
501 5.6.0 kapplegate at nunya.com.....Data format error

I am sure that it is just a setup issue in the email script, I have not
modified the script in anyway from the original. The line from the
hosts.cfg is as follows:

[notify-by-email]=/bin/echo -e '***** NetSaint 0.0.7
*****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\n\nService:
$SERVICEDESC$\nHost: $HOSTALIAS$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nState:
$SERVICESTATE$\n\nDate/Time: $DATETIME$\n\nAdditional Info:\n\n$OUTPUT$'
| /bin/mail -s '** $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ alert - $HOSTALIAS$/$SERVICEDESC$
is $SERVICESTATE$ **' $CONTACTEMAIL$

So I know that the contact is setup correct and that NS is sending the
messages, just not in a format the receiving server can understand.
Also, I have tested sending a standard message from pine to the target
address and it works great. The setup is as follows:

Redhat 7.0
NS 0.0.7b1
Plugins 1.2.9-1
Sendmail in the default config

Target Email server:
M$ Exchange 2000

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Kristopher Applegate