[NCLUG] Favorite NAS

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Mon Feb 26 09:31:13 MST 2001

 Depending on how you want to configure it, the LSI solution may or may
not be a good solution for you. If you want a simple side-attached RAID
then they are pretty solid boxes. If you want something comparable to a
Network Appliance in functionality and performance then they get complicated
in a muliple vendor, no single source of equipment, type of way. (There are
some OEM vendors, like Compaq, who do but I've no experience with any of
them.)

 For instance, we have a couple with this sort of setup: LSI RAID shelves,
Sun/HP head (or dual head), Veritas filesystem and JNI fibre-channel
controllers. Yep, 4 different vendors to choose from. If you like playing
along with the finger-pointing game when something doesn't work, this is
the setup for you. Anyone looking at these for high-availability wouldn't
exactly be impressed with some of the availability numbers ours in-house
are showing.

 For a pricepoint of 15K or less you're going to be looking at something
homemade maybe. I'm just not used to spending less than 80K on a RAID. :-)

Thus spake Les Watkinson:

--
   Mike Loseke    | If at first you don't succeed,
 mike at verinet.com | increase the amperage.