[NCLUG] Spy-ware and modem problems

Connie Seger} equinelover at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 26 20:02:09 MST 2001

Hello to all-

I'm a new Linux person and can use all the help you veterans can spare.
First let me digress - I was reading some back issues and saw some were
concerend with having "spyware" on their machines.  Steve Gibson's program
Opt Out does a great job and there is one more out there that he also
recommends called Ad-Aware by Lavasoft.  The easiest place to obtain it is
through Zdnet.  I scan my pc @ once a month and am amazed what's been put
there without my knowledge.
Now my problem.  I run Windows 98 and behind that I have Linux  Caldera 2.3.
I finally got my modem recognized and was finally able to go to the web on
Linux. Over the weekend I tried to go on-line with Linux and I get the
message that my modem is busy.  Have no idea what / where to go next. What
would be giving out that message.  Windows still uses the modem just fine.
All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Connie Seger

---