[NCLUG] FW: strange message sent to root

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Tue Feb 27 08:58:34 MST 2001

Thus spake Michael Dwyer:
> > hey folks, i just got about 20 of these messages in about 5 seconds.
> anyone
> > know what's going on here? this is a slackware 7.1 system.
>
> >  [211.118.21.87]
> >  No one logged on.
>
> I've never seen anything like that before on a Slack system.  Check the
> system logs (/var/log/messges) for any further mail traces.  Also, check the
> crontabs (crontab -l <username>) to see if there is a timed event causing
> these.  It LOOKS like it was
> sent local-to-local, so it is likely from your local machine.  You you
> recently install
> some intrusion detection software?

 You do realize that this is output from tcp_wrappers detecting someone
attempting to scan or hit a service on your box for which this trap has
been sent, correct?

 What happened was that someone was scanning your box for open ports.
Seems that tcp_wrappers is listening to them and configured to do a
safe_finger back at them to try to determine who was logged on there.

 Check /etc/inetd.conf, I'll bet stuff is being run by tcpd.

--
   Mike Loseke    | If at first you don't succeed,
 mike at verinet.com | increase the amperage.