[NCLUG] I was hacked!

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Jan 4 16:54:45 MST 2001

On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 02:30:39PM -0700, Mike Loseke wrote:
> Yep, if you aren't running Sun(tm) services like NFS or NIS then you
>shouldn't need portmapper at all. It's basically someone at Sun's weird
>idea of getting around inetd (and it's ilk) by re-implementing it using
>registered numbers that aren't ports. :-P

portmapper is used for all sorts of RPC services...  It just so happens
that there really isn't much used regularly as far as RPC goes excet
for NFS and NIS.  I don't know that it has any benefits over using
a well-known port.  It was an idea that was tried out and just didn't
really work.  The idea being that you would ask a machine if it
supported certain things and if so where to find those services.  The
problem was that it didn't solve the problem of identifying services
without collisions -- IIRC you still had to use numbers.

 Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life.
                 -- Eric Hoffer