[NCLUG] I was hacked!

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Fri Jan 5 08:31:14 MST 2001

Thus spake Sean Reifschneider:
> On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 03:01:16PM -0700, John L. Bass wrote:
> >I think it may pre-date inetd. It was designed at a time when UNIX ethernet
> >was still pretty new stuff, and much of UNIX networking was still ARPANET,
> >and local university hacks.
>
> By "inetd" I presumed that Mike meant "well-known service" ports.
> Inetd doesn't really do anything except make writing daemons easier...
> Because portmapper uses a WKS port, it's present form is unlikely to
> pre-date them.  ;-)

 Yes, that's what I meant. I had to insert "and their ilk" in there because
I knew it wasn't the perfect analogy and my brain was fogged (still is)
from troubleshooting why X11R6.4 sucks so bad in a mixed environment (can't
comprehend that unix:1.0, localhost:1.0 and [hostname]:1.0 are really truly
the same beast when using things like vnc or go-global... grr...).

 Anyhow, I shall now evoke the name "Hitler" to end this thread as it
seems we're bound for a flame war. :-)

 Cheese.

--
   Mike Loseke    | If at first you don't succeed,
 mike at verinet.com | increase the amperage.