[NCLUG] I was hacked!

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Sat Jan 6 09:18:21 MST 2001

On 04 Jan 2001 at 14:30:39, Mike Loseke modified my mailspool to say:

>  Heh, which one of these was designed to 1) be secure, 2) be used
>  securely over public world-wide networks? Right, neither. And I'd have
>  to disagree with the unstable connotation. Sure, nfs blocks and doesn't
>  like to unmount resources when the remote side no longer exists, but it
>  does these things quite reliably. :-)

NFS also has a tendancy to write blocks of 0's to files when there are
communications problems between client and server... I've experienced this
only a couple of times, though.

I have to manage an NFS server at work, and since the clients are only
across a switch, it's been very reliable considering... now, when I was
working at Cisco, they had NFS clients mounting servers through a number of
switches and a couple of routers... now THAT was setup was
"Not-fscking-stable."

After checking the Free Online Dictionary of Computing and the Jargon file,
the euphemism of choice for NFS seems to be the "Nightmare File System."

Maybe that's the term I was thinking of. ;-)

Later,
Paul