[NCLUG] Linux 2.4.0....

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Mon Jan 8 09:23:51 MST 2001

At 12:11 AM 1/7/01 -0700, you wrote:
>On Sat, Jan 06, 2001 at 11:36:55PM -0700, Luke Light wrote:
> >try to boot any of the kernels it says "Uncompressing Kernel....... Ok,
> >booting"  and freezes after that.  Any ideas what I did to cause this?
>
>That means the kernel is loaded and it's trying to start the boot-up,
>but is failing.  That seems like a corrupt kernel sort of issue.  Did

Or here is an alternate ending -- the kernel is starting up just fine,
you just can't tell.  (eg, Did you compile in a Console driver?)

I skipped right over the "SVGA Console" part of the config, thinking
that I was building a server that didn't need that fancy frame buffer
stuff.  Little did I know, that that driver is actually the TEXT console
as well!  So, my kernel was working just fine, it just didn't put any-
thing on the screen to let me know!

Exact same symptoms...  Do you have to mysteriously run a fsck after
you switch back to the old kernel?  Can you telnet to your box even
though it looks hung? You might check it out.