[NCLUG] Wireless cards and Linux

Prescott Oelke panick at excite.com
Tue Jan 9 10:57:59 MST 2001

 I'm not totally sure about this as I have never used the Orinoco gateway
(the equivalent of the airport base station). But from what I understand
they are basically the same thing. Lucent makes both the Orinoco products
and the Apple airport equipment. The only reason I bought the airport base
station over the Orinoco one was price ($500 vs. $300). It might be that the
lack of an external antenna contributes to the lack of range (and
bandwidth), but I have never had a problem with it.

Prescott Oelke

On Tue, 09 Jan 2001 11:04:02 -0600, nclug at nclug.org wrote:

>  I have been told that the Orinoco has better range and speed than the
Apple