[NCLUG] Wireless cards and Linux

Prescott Oelke panick at excite.com
Tue Jan 9 15:32:49 MST 2001

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001 15:10:06 -0700, nclug at nclug.org wrote:

>  So if you purchase 3rd party devices to build a mix-n-match configuration
make sure
>  they have the proper FCC certifications for the particular radio system,
or be aware
>  that you are looking at $175,000 or more in fines, if somebody complains
and turns
>  you in.

 Thanks for all the info. Way more than I ever knew before. On the above
note, I chose the aiport due to it's cost factor and the fact that the
Orinoco site specifically lists the Airport as compatible with their cards
(because Lucent makes both). But if you couldn't mix-n-match these things
why is the standard there? If something is listed as 802.11b compatible I
would assume that when they advertise that as a "feature" it means that you
can assimilate the device into existing 802.11b networks with little in the
way of problems (legal or techncal). But for the record my airport is still
in original condition. I wouldn't have the slightest notion on how to hack
it to add an external antenna. It's range more than acceptably covers my
apartment (and most of my neighbors for that matter).

Prescott Oelke