[NCLUG] testing internet connection

Benson Chow blc at q.dyndns.org
Sun Jan 14 22:14:23 MST 2001

Seems some hop along one of the routes is congested... slowing one but not
the other.  Seems you are using some method already.  I'd probably do some
ftp or http connect with a large file, but that's not always conclusive
either.  HTTP://www.dslreports.com has some tools in their tools
section that you can use to test bandwidth to their site, but once again,
this is not always conclusive.

I would have to say if that the remote site is not on the same network as
you, whatever's the highest speed you get on any site outside the
network is your "host to provider" speed... but I still question the value
of that number.  You're still limited on the other end.  Maybe CSU is
congested?  I don't go to CSU or use their network so I can't say what's
the problem, but it's a possible explanation.

BTW-I'm using the basic Qwest/Qwest DSL/ISP service, and for the cheaper
AT&T @home will probably suffice for most people...  Dealing with the
dynamic IP and buggy NAT is troublesome at best... :-(

-bc