[NCLUG] Printer suggestions

Aaron D. Johnson adj at ccltd.com
Tue Jan 16 16:31:53 MST 2001

> The users are complaining.  Particularly, they don't like the speed
> of printouts; they also complain that the driver doesn't support
> color properly and that they cannot control the "darkness level".

Is it your Windows users who are complaining?  If so, what I normally
do is configure Samba to accept the print jobs and try avoid filtering
them.  LPRng's lpr (and probably others, too) has a '-b' switch for
this.  Set up the Windows users with the latest greatest driver for
the exact printer you are using, and if they have complaints about
quality, you can honestly tell them that it's Microsoft's or HP's
(whichever wrote the Windows driver) fault.  It's sometimes a pain to
get Samba and your print server doing this correctly, though.

> Please note that printers are not one of my strongest areas of Linux
> knowledge!  I generally use linuxconf to configure everything...

You'll need to get under the hood a bit to get it working well.  I
should be able to dig up printcap and smb.conf entries...

Aaron
--
MTS, tummy.com, ltd.
Linux and UNIX Consulting and Software