[NCLUG] Printer suggestions

dobbster dobbster at dobbster.com
Tue Jan 16 16:40:16 MST 2001

> Is it your Windows users who are complaining?  If so, what I normally
> do is configure Samba to accept the print jobs and try avoid filtering
> them.  LPRng's lpr (and probably others, too) has a '-b' switch for
> this.  Set up the Windows users with the latest greatest driver for
> the exact printer you are using, and if they have complaints about
> quality, you can honestly tell them that it's Microsoft's or HP's
> (whichever wrote the Windows driver) fault.  It's sometimes a pain to
> get Samba and your print server doing this correctly, though.

Believe it or not, things work better from Windows.  However, I
discourage my users from using Windows when possible (and they mainly
print from Netscape mail in Linux).

> > Please note that printers are not one of my strongest areas of Linux
> > knowledge!  I generally use linuxconf to configure everything...
>
> You'll need to get under the hood a bit to get it working well.  I
> should be able to dig up printcap and smb.conf entries...

Thanks.  Samba isn't a problem for me (it's all configured fine, for
those rare times we do print from Windows), but printcap files are
something I haven't messed with "under the hood" much.

Mark (dobbster at dobbster.com)