[NCLUG] Antitrust

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Sun Jan 21 20:36:30 MST 2001

On 21 Jan 2001 at 20:24:19, Sean Reifschneider modified my mailspool to say:

> As much as I respect and admire Paul Reed and the dude at Slashdot, I
> had a good time at Antitrust.

Oh, I did too... I just don't think the vast majority of 'AOL-ing
moviegoers' will... nor do I think they'll really grok what the movie is
trying to say.

A big reason why I had such a good time was because I understood all of the
jargon... which the movie doesn't explain (I never heard a really good
explanation of what 'open source' really is), and thus I don't think my
parents, while not stupid, would enjoy it... they'd get lost in the jargon,
as the critics who trashed it did.

As for John Katz' review... I wouldn't bother listening to his review (of
course, I don't advocate listening to him anyway)... he referred to the
Microsoftian organization as 'NURF' throughout (it's NURV), and his grammar
was incorrect in a couple of places... I wouldn't call him much of a
'journalist'.

> Though it's real venue is as a drinking game watched by a bunch of geeks.
> Whenever you see Linux or source code, you take a shot.  I call it the
> "Hey, this is Linux!  I know this!" drinking game.

Cool idea... that'll be Cal Poly LUG's next informal meeting... ;-)

Later,
Paul