[NCLUG] multiple-serial port laptop?

Matt Taggart taggart at carmen.fc.hp.com
Tue Jan 23 10:38:25 MST 2001

"S. Luke Jones" writes...

> Matt Taggart wrote:
> > How about USB-serial? If they are fairly modern laptops both will
> > have USB and then you can use multiple USB-serial adapters.
>
> Cool. Does that work with Linux now that 2.4 has shipped?

I think some of the USB stuff has been backported to 2.2.18 too.

> Would I just see /dev/ttySx, x in 0..k+n-1, where k is the
> number of stock serial ports and n is the number provided
> by the USB-to-serial doo-dad.

I don't know. Take a look at,

http://www.linux-usb.org/

Click on "Working devices list" -> "driver overview" -> "serial"

It looks like you should avoid the "Belkin, Peracom, and eTek" devices.

Check out,

http://www.usbstuff.com/serial.html

for hardware. They also have USB to USB if it doesn't have to be serial.

--
Matt Taggart
taggart at fc.hp.com