[NCLUG] programming question

mike cullerton michaelc at cullerton.com
Sun Jul 1 15:01:00 MDT 2001

on 7/1/01 1:52 PM, Gary Rogers at garyr at dmin.net wrote:

> I agree that web-enableing an app won't increase sales 1000 fold, but it
> will definatly change the app from a relativly predictable usage curve to
> one that is more spiky. The real solution to this whole thread is a well

hmmm... that's not the experience i've had. in all the systems i've studied,
be they networks or even customers eating in a restaurant, usage curves
become _more_ predictable with increased usage. the spikes tend to flatten
out as usage increases.

> thought out load test plan and implementation. That would quickly show where
> an application needs to most help, if your 'oo' is getting you anything in
> the app, AND if it's maintainable by your current programing staff as they
> tweek it for optimum performance.
>
> I don't know, I jumped ship on the whole Web thing 6 months ago as the
> bubble was bursting, are development companies getting smarter about having
> good designs and QA before they release an app to a real load test, i.e. the
> Web?

not sure what exactly you are implying here. are you saying that 6 months
ago there were no good development companies? no good development companies
on the web?

my take is that whether or not a person or company is competent (at design,
implementation, organization, whatever) is independent of their relationship
with the web (or the internet for that matter)

you can always find folks willing to cut corners, just like you can always
find folks trying to do things well. kinda like attitudes towards learning.
some folks think they know everything. some folks are always trying to learn
more.

btw, if you weren't paying attention to the hype, you wouldn't have noticed
the bubble bursting. as someone who was building ip networks before there
was a web, this internet thing seems alive and well to me. just because
stock prices have dropped doesn't mean that people don't use the internet
anymore. people are using the internet more than ever now and the pie
continues to grow.

mike

> g:wq

 -- mike cullerton