[NCLUG] Protest of Dmitry Sklyarov's arrest

Sonja V. Tideman sonjat at cs.unm.edu
Thu Jul 19 13:40:54 MDT 2001

Hello,
  First, let me apologize for emailing all of this group on a matter that
has little to do with Linux.  I do believe that many of you will be
interested in this, however.

On July 16, a Russian programmer named Dmitry Sklyarov was arrested by the
FBI in Las Vegas following his speech at Def Con for alleged violations of
the DMCA.   He was arrested for software he wrote for his employer,
Elcomsoft.  This software was perfectly legal in his country.  Its
function was to remove the restrictions on Adobe's ebook format to allow
people who had purchased an electronic book to read it on other
machines.  He is currently in custody in Las Vegas.

His case is being covered by several sites, including the Electronic
Frontier Foundation (http://ww.eff.org) and is on a boycott adobe site
(http://www.boycottadobe.com) for more information.

We are trying to organize a protest in the Denver area (there will be one
occuring on Monday in San Jose).  If anyone is interested in attending,
please contact me at sonjat at cs.unm.edu

Again,  apologys for sending out the mass mailing.

Thanks,
  Sonja