[NCLUG] simple way to determine 32 or 64 bit?

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Mon Jun 11 13:11:47 MDT 2001

Thus spake Evelyn Mitchell:
> On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 12:53:57PM -0600, Mike Loseke wrote:
> >
> >  Does anyone know of a simple way to determine whether your system is
> > running 32 or 64-bit? Under Solaris this can be done using "isainfo -v"
> > but I've not been able to find any similar method under Linux yet.
>
> You've tried uname -a ?

 Yep.

root at serpico# uname -a
Linux serpico.co.lsil.com 2.4.4 #2 Tue May 1 16:03:35 MDT 2001 i686 unknown

 Not very revealing, at least without being able to see the output from a
64-bit x86 system. Meaning that I can't make the "if" part of the wrapper
be able to deduce anything telling without having to change it in the
future. I'll probably have to hardcode a bunch of this stuff. Argh.

--
   Mike Loseke    | If at first you don't succeed,
 mike at verinet.com | increase the amperage.