[NCLUG] simple way to determine 32 or 64 bit?

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Mon Jun 11 13:32:24 MDT 2001

Thus spake thorson at aster.com:
> On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Mike Loseke wrote:
>

> >  Does anyone know of a simple way to determine whether your system is
> > running 32 or 64-bit? Under Solaris this can be done using "isainfo -v"
> > but I've not been able to find any similar method under Linux yet.
>
> Here's what uname reports on my Itanium machine.
>
>    $ uname -m
>    ia64
>
> Does that help?

 In that my fears that it will be different on every architecture look to
be true, yes. :-) Thanks.

 For the Solaris-impaired, "isainfo -v" on a 64-bit machine returns:

# isainfo -v
64-bit sparcv9 applications
32-bit sparc applications

 And a 32-bit machine:

# isainfo -v
32-bit sparc applications

 So you can kinda see what I was hoping for (like cat/proc/kernel/bit or
something).

--
   Mike Loseke    | If at first you don't succeed,
 mike at verinet.com | increase the amperage.