[NCLUG] simple way to determine 32 or 64 bit?

S. Luke Jones luke at 6d.com
Mon Jun 11 13:56:59 MDT 2001

Mike Loseke wrote:
>  So you can kinda see what I was hoping for (like cat/proc/kernel/bit or
> something).

I'm 64-bit impaired myself.
Is that in the boot messages? Could you find it there?

How about /proc/cpuinfo? Are there any tell-tales there?
Like mine says "Pentium III (Coppermine)" and I know that's
a 32-bit IA32 (or 36 or whatever-the-heck, sue me) cpu.
Just put together a compendium mapping all CPU+stepping
data to instruction-width and data-width for all known
processors.

Can't be any worse than Windows-version detection. :-(

--
Luke Jones - 6D engineering interface dude
luke at 6d.com - voice (970)267-2031 - mobile (970)481-2208