[NCLUG] simple way to determine 32 or 64 bit?

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Mon Jun 11 14:06:31 MDT 2001

Thus spake S. Luke Jones:
> Mike Loseke wrote:
> >  So you can kinda see what I was hoping for (like cat/proc/kernel/bit or
> > something).
>
> I'm 64-bit impaired myself.
> Is that in the boot messages? Could you find it there?

 Not a reliable source if the machine has been up for any amount of time.

> How about /proc/cpuinfo? Are there any tell-tales there?

 Nopers.

> Like mine says "Pentium III (Coppermine)" and I know that's
> a 32-bit IA32 (or 36 or whatever-the-heck, sue me) cpu.
> Just put together a compendium mapping all CPU+stepping
> data to instruction-width and data-width for all known
> processors.

 Which all breaks with the inevitable kernel "make config" option asking
if you'd like to compile this as a 32-bit or a 64-bit kernel. :-P

> Can't be any worse than Windows-version detection. :-(

 Or browser detection...

--
   Mike Loseke    | If at first you don't succeed,
 mike at verinet.com | increase the amperage.