[NCLUG] simple way to determine 32 or 64 bit?

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Mon Jun 11 14:58:15 MDT 2001

Thus spake thorson at aster.com:

> Can you determine something from uname?  I just tried
> uname on our Sun and got this:
>
>    $ uname -m
>    sun4u
>
> Does that imply 64-bit?  It is supposed to be the hardware type.
> Try it on your machines.

 Nope, sun4u just means it's an ultrasparc processor (not all of which
are 64-bit capable). You can boot either the 32-bit or the 64-bit kernel
on most Suns (both are installed generally). We use isainfo to tell us
what type of applications the running kernel is capable of running. If it
says 64-bit *and* 32-bit we know that it's capable of running either
(meaning it's at 64-bit), but if it just says 32-bit then that's all she
can take.

 Similar deduction is done on HP-UX 11.X systems as well (`getconf
KERNEL_BITS` returns 64 or 32).

--
   Mike Loseke    | If at first you don't succeed,
 mike at verinet.com | increase the amperage.