[NCLUG] simple way to determine 32 or 64 bit?

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Mon Jun 11 15:07:26 MDT 2001

Thus spake Tkil:

> or, if you trust that perl was compiled sanely:
>
> | $ perl -MConfig -le 'print $Config{longsize}*8'
> | 32

 Returns 32 on my 64-bit Suns and HP's. :-) What compile-time option did I
miss in perl?

> finally, i believe that some machines can have multiple
> "personalities" in this respect.  SPARC linux was 64-bit kernel with
> 32-bit userland for a while (or maybe it was the other way around).
> irix had a "feature" where it supported three different interfaces:
> old 32-bit, new 32-bit, and new 64-bit (two APIs, two different
> sizes).
>
> so... maybe mike needs to be more clear about the bittiness (i like
> it!) he is actually concerned with?

 Userland definitely. I'm trying to modify a script which our users use
to setup a ton of environment variables for using lots of different
applications (CAD and EDA), many of which have 32- and 64-bit versions.
They want to run the 64-bit apps by default on machines that can, so we
try to make it transparent whenever possible. Some eda companies are
actually intelligent enough to account for this themselves so we don't
have to worry about it. Others are less concerned with the ease of use of
their product (hey, take the training for only $7K/week!).

--
   Mike Loseke    | If at first you don't succeed,
 mike at verinet.com | increase the amperage.