[NCLUG] wireless ethernet

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Tue Jun 12 04:14:10 MDT 2001

On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 02:05:13PM -0600, Quent wrote:
>802.11b is the way to go currently, unless you're worried about the

Yes, 802.11b works great...

>Linksys cards and access points have been getting cheaper lately.  I set

I haven't used the AP, but I did look at some when at the store once and
found that Linksys seems to have a bunch of different flavors, some of
which are $250 and require that you drop a PCMCIA card in them.  The
Addtron AP is the one I like the best so far, since you can configure it
via HTTP.  I found something that seemed to indicate that the Lucent APs
were way down in price as well.

The Wavelan/Lucent Orinoco cards are definitely the way to go.  We have the
Addtron cards (Prism II chipset, as are the Linksys I believe) working, but
it was after much pain and suffering.  Note that we haven't gotten them to
work successfully in Adhoc mode which means that an AP was required.  The
Wavelan works fine in Ad-hoc mode, and costs maybe $20 more.

If anyone really wants the cheaper cards, I'd be willing to make a deal
where I trade up.  ;-)

 We have just gotten a wake-up call from the Nintendo Generation.
                 -- _Hackers_