[NCLUG] wireless ethernet

Dan Burcaw dburcaw at terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jun 12 11:10:14 MDT 2001

> The Wavelan/Lucent Orinoco cards are definitely the way to go.  We have the
> Addtron cards (Prism II chipset, as are the Linksys I believe) working, but
> it was after much pain and suffering.  Note that we haven't gotten them to
> work successfully in Adhoc mode which means that an AP was required.  The
> Wavelan works fine in Ad-hoc mode, and costs maybe $20 more.

I agree.. I'm using a Lucent WaveLAN PCMCIA card in my PowerBook G3.
It's even talking to an Apple AirPort base station (802.11 rocks) which
is giving me my net access.  The PCMCIA stuff was actually pretty
simple to setup.  The orinoco_cs module now ships with the latest 2.4.x
kernels too.

--

Regards,
Dan Burcaw