[NCLUG] more than 7 email ids with @Home?

Chris Wolney chris at wolney.com
Thu Mar 1 10:17:51 MST 2001

I have @Home, and have studied the AUP... As you can imagine, I think it's
just a license to pull the plug on you if you're doing something they don't
like.  Technically, the Napster client could be considered a "server", but
they don't get all over those people.  And those are high-bandwidth users,
for sure...

In looking at my syslogs, it seems the only thing @Home looks for is news
servers.  I have heard this this was an agreement between @Home and the user
community to get a UDP (usenet death penalty) lifted, due to uninformed
users running news servers that could be exploited and used to relay SPAM
and other crap.

I can tell you this:  I was going to do a full-boat webpage, DNS hosting,
and e-mail on the cable modem but decided against it.  I just used my @Home
WebSpace for my webpage (I know, I know, the lack of scripting ability
sucks, and I would love to have it interface with my SQL server to do
various Cool Things) and have ZoneEdit manage/foreward my domain name and
mail.  I still do have a "private" web and ftp server on the wire, and have
sent quite a bit of data back and forth (ie. entire albums of MP3's I rip at
home and want at work) and haven't heard any fussing from @Home.

Of course, they could whack my connection at any time based on the AUP.  I
think as long as we're low key, we should be cool.  If they want to start
managing their network, I'd like to see them start with the 30-40 "subseven"
scans I get a week... :-)

-Chris