[NCLUG] Juno's new "service"

Charles Clarke clarke at clarkecomputer.com
Fri Mar 2 09:55:06 MST 2001

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, B O'Fallon wrote:

> Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 07:52:23 -0700
> From: B O'Fallon <bof at americanisp.net>
> To: nclug at nclug.org
> Subject: Re: [NCLUG] Juno's new "service"
>
> Rich Blinne wrote:
>
> > Mike, there is no EULA which will work for our Boulder office other taking the
> > shrink wrap and putting it over their heads.
>
> Be advised that the Cambodians tried this in the mid-70's and lost a lot (50%
> --- over 4 million out of a total population of 8) of their potential customers
>
> Here's more information on the Juno TOS:
>
>  http://www.byte.com/printableArticle?doc_id=BYT20010222S0004
>
> I really like how they do this: you can't read the TOS until after you've
> installed their software and the TOS is subject to change at any time and you
> don't have to actively agree to it: just using the software is considered
> acceptance.
You can read the TOS before you use.
It it non-obvious how to get to though.
Go to Juno Help -> Privacy and Security -> Service Agreement
http://help.juno.com/privacy/agreement.html

I'm not sure if the software notifies you of a new Service Agreement or
not.  It would be nice if it did(since these shouldn't change too often).

> How long do you think it will be before Microsoft adopts this or something like
> it?
Depends on how successful they are with it! :)