[NCLUG] possible topic for future meeting

mike cullerton michaelc at frii.net
Sat Mar 10 10:21:46 MST 2001

hey folks,

   for the last couple months, i've been spending lots of time working on
organizing my linux box so i know what's going on in it. upgrading my
services--named, apache, php, mysql, etc. i've also tried to use the tools
available to limit access to my box--inetd.conf and hosts.allow, that kind
of thing. i never really used my box to serve anything 'real' before and now
that folks are counting on it, it's time to be serious :)

   anyway, one of the topics i keep running into is security. there's
kerberos, md5, ssh, hosts.allow, ipchains, iptables, etc.

   i was wondering if maybe at a future meeting we might have a panel type
Q&A about security for newbies. general approaches to securing a box. what
tools are available. which complement one another. which 'compete' with one
another. that sort of thing. sort of a way to open the door for folks who
are trying to keep their boxes secure and up-to-date.

thoughts?

 -- mike cullerton