[NCLUG] Linux dial-up server. . .

Matt Clauson mec at dotorg.org
Tue Mar 13 13:57:55 MST 2001

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 07:58:13PM +0000, Jeff Elizondo wrote:
> How-d.  Since no one seemed that interested in my Wine question (damn you
> all), I've got a new one that will hopefully prove a bit more interesting.
> I am setting up a dial-up server using Red Hat 7.0 with the 2.4.2 kernel.  I
> need to have Windoze systems able to dial in to the server and access a
> local web page.
[rest snipped for brevity]

This is a DNS issue -- your PPP server isn't sending the DNS
information to your Microsoft client (god bless Micrsoft
"extensions").  Look at your pppd options file (in debian,
/etc/ppp/options) and look for the ms-dns and ms-wins config lines.
more information available in the pppd manpage.

if you don't expect to change DNS servers often (not bloody likely if
your users have other dialups) set the DNS servers manually in your
dialup networking settings.

--mec