[NCLUG] dhcp and @home

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Fri Mar 16 09:55:48 MST 2001

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Charles Clarke wrote:

> I had some problems, but I switched NICs and they cleared up.
> They did warn me though that NT boxes have problems with DHCP, though
> you are probably running Linux! :)
>
> Have you tried a *gasp* Windoze box to see if that will work?

Out of curiousity, does @home know or care anything about your ethernet
card's MAC address?

Charter Communications cable modem service actually binds to the MAC
address of the first ethernet card it hears chiming in on the network...
you have to call the NOC to get them to reset it.

I only mention it because I found it interesting, if not a little annoying,
and it prevents us Linux-ers from doing the sort of testing above with a
Winblows box.

Later,
Paul