[NCLUG] dhcp and @home

Jim Ankrum jimj9 at qwest.net
Fri Mar 16 12:00:22 MST 2001

Mike Loseke wrote:

>  Any of you @home cable modem users have any issues with getting DHCP to
> work? I got it installed yesterday and could never even get a reply from
> my dhcp requests, although I could see plenty of broadcasts on the network
> from stations other than myself. I'm connecting a machine directly to the
> modem over cat-5. Their tech support wasn't very useful as they tried
> updating their dhcp database 3 times then gave up and said I couldn't talk
> to tier 2 support anymore because I only had the basic installation. :-P
>
>  I did get it working with the static IP and hopefully I can convince them
> to let me keep it but they confirmed again to me that they are going to try
> to take them all away and make everyone use dhcp where possible.
>
> --
>    Mike Loseke    | If at first you don't succeed,
>  mike at verinet.com | increase the amperage.

I've had different distro's treat it differently. I think Slackware would
connect using DHCP but RedHat wouldn't. I never really tried to figure out
why/ why not since it was easy enough to switch from static to DHCP and
vice-versa. I use @home also btw. I also got something from @home recently
about the static ip issue where if you're using an os that doesn't like the
DHCP then you'll be able to keep your ip when they change everyone else to
dynamic ip. Don't have any details about that tho... might be a price hike
would be my guess to keep the static ip.
Jim