[NCLUG] dhcp and @home

Prescott Oelke panick at excite.com
Fri Mar 16 13:26:00 MST 2001

 When they installed the @Home service at my place I had win2k on my box and
it wouldn't pick up DHCP either. The guy got tired of messing with it and
set it up with the static IP. I have used Win98 and BeOS with DHCP with no
problems. I had been using SuSE 6.4 with the static IP, because I couldn't
get DHCP working. When I did a clean install of SuSE 7.1 it picked up the
DHCP and worked right off. I think that the hostname is what screws up the
Linux DHCP. @Home wants to assign the computer the IP and Hostname
automatically. Linux (and Windows 2k/NT) just want to recieve the IP while
keeping their own hostname. Anyway they have never changed my IP so I
usually use it static just to cut down the boot time.

Prescott