[NCLUG] securing NFS

Mark Fassler fassler at monkeysoft.net
Wed Mar 21 21:42:27 MST 2001

I would like to setup a server provide anonymous, read-only NFS access to
a directory.  A few other servers will mount this directory.

Access will, in practice, be limited to a very few trusted clients;
however, I don't want to make the assumption that the clients are trusted
(if someone compromises one system, I don't want to make it easy for them
to compromise the NFS server).

I was thinking of chroot'ing the whole NFS server and, of course, making
the exported directory read-only.

Does anyone have experience with this?  Is this a reasonable way to go
about this?  Are there any other networked file systems with a more
reliable history than NFS?  Is there a way to "mount" an FTP-based "file
system"?

--
Mark Fassler
fassler at monkeysoft.net