[NCLUG] IDE(ATAPI?) tape drives

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Fri Mar 23 18:15:39 MST 2001

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001, dobbster wrote:

> I've installed SCSI tape drives in Linux, but never IDE.  Does anyone
> have any suggestions for decent (internal) IDE drives currently on the
> market?  Perhaps a Travan drive of some sort?  (I haven't kept up on the
> technology...)
>
> It doesn't have to be fancy.  I'd like it to have at least 20 GB capacity
> and (obviously) function in Linux.  I want to send gzipped tars to it.
> I'd prefer something cheap, with cheap media.

There was a very long discussion about tape drives and backup media on
SVLUG list awhile back... IDE drives were discussed, and IIRC, poopoo'd by
many for a number of reasons.

Check out the archives at:
http://lists.svlug.org/pipermail/svlug/2001-January/thread.html

The thread is: "Backup solutions?"

First message is at:
http://lists.svlug.org/pipermail/svlug/2001-January/005534.html

It starts out slow, but it's a long thread with some good stuff on backup
programs, media, and procedures in it... fun for the whole family!

Later,
Paul
  J. Paul Reed                preed at sigkill.com || web.sigkill.com/preed
  AOL, CIA, NSA, whatever! They all have three letters, they all collect
  information, and they all screw the public -- User Friendly, 2/10/2000